Artwork by Hilary Cole
Here is a sample of headlines from May 30 to June 1, 2020, illustrating the dangers journalists face, as reported by the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker.
• “The Buffalo News (NY) crew hit by police pepper balls while covering protests.”
• “Student journalists fired upon with foam rounds, one struck by ricochet amid Albuquerque (NM) protests.”
• “Philadelphia Inquirer reporter one of three journalists detained by police past curfew.”
• “Freelance journalist says police targeted him with projectiles after he identified himself as press.”
• “Atlanta photographer detained, released after intervention by other journalists.”
• “Cincinnati Enquirer journalist detained as cameras roll.”
• “Reporter detained while covering Oakland (CA) protests.”
• “Asbury Park Press (NJ) journalist arrested covering protests, released the next day.”
• “Reporter pepper sprayed, arrested amid protests in Des Moines (Iowa).”
• “Unidentified man attacks Reuters photographer with crowbar during Minneapolis protests.”
Source: U.S. Press Freedom Tracker. More here: https://pressfreedomtracker.us/george-floyd-protests/.