Watershed Management Board
This local organization is responsible for addressing water supply and quality issues within the Nooksack River basin and for salmon recovery. Its members include Whatcom County, City of Bellingham, Public Utility District #1, Lummi Nation, Nooksack Indian Tribe, and the state Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. It has existed in various forms for about two decades.
The board issued a five-year plan in Sept. 2019. The plan includes several projects to address local water issues:
• Groundwater Model (Whatcom County lead),
• Regional Water Supply Plan (PUD #1),
• Drainage-Based Management (County),
• Salmon Recovery (Lummi Nation and others),
• Plan Update, and Monitoring and Data Management (PUD #1).
The total five-year cost for these projects is about $6 million.